Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Apple Cider & Spice Cupcakes

Welcome to the new baking blog!  I decided to change my blog name and address to make it a little easier to follow.  I think it's pretty self-explanatory. :)


I thought I'd kick things off the right way with something fall and something cupcake.  I found the recipe for these in Phyllis Hoffman's Celebrate Fall magazine.  I LOVE her magazines. I "borrowed" this one from my mom.  I have an addiction to magazines with fall covers.  If it has anything to do with fall, I must own it.  And I never throw them away.  If anyone is looking for the fall Midwest Living 2007 issue, you know where to find it.


I edited her recipe only slightly to fit my particular tastes.  I made all of the cupcakes mini-size and I diced the apple instead of using apple shavings. I also used apple cider that I made myself instead of store bought.


If I ever make these cupcakes again, I will definitely not use the apple cider frosting recipe she includes.  It was too buttery for my taste.  I think I would use a Vanilla Buttercream with the same cinnamon sugar mixture sprinkled on top.



Regardless, they certainly look pretty!  Instead of topping with marzipan apples, I piped the icing on and sprinkled them with cinnamon and sugar.  A few of the cupcakes are still naked because I ran out of frosting.  On the plus side, I didn't really like the frosting that much and these are soooo good plain.  Cupcakes without frosting are just muffins in my opinion, and therefore fit to eat for breakfast.  At least that's what I told myself this morning when I had two.

These cupcakes are my first attempt at ushering in the fall weather.  90 Degrees at the end of September is not acceptable! This week was apple and cinnamon, next week will be pumpkin and pecans!



No comments:

Post a Comment